[p4] Performance impact of "large" clients

Ines Heinz heinz2 at llnl.gov
Thu Aug 6 08:46:57 PDT 2009

When we have allowed the code developers to have
clients  that contain multiple branches, they
have not only done what Steve stated, but they
also have mistakenly submitted changes for work
that had not been tested and reviewed.  Yes, you
can put in triggers to help limit the pain, but
going for the simpler solution and having a
client per branch is far safer and easier.

===========================Here is the scenario============================
I go into winedev and p4 edit the wine.atd file
because my wine label is the up and coming one --
with the really witty comments about nuttiness and hints of berry.

Then someone realizes that the wine label in
2009kegs has a misspelling of the word blackberry,
so I go and do a quick edit of that, get my edit
reviewed and submit.  All well and good with
separate clients, but with a wide-open client, I
accidentally submit all my opened files -- which
submits my witty comments (some of which had not
been spell-checked)  into the winedev
branch without the appropriate review.

=====================wide open client=====================================
Client Root: /home/ines/perforce
Client View:
//depot/winedev/... //ines_perforce_workspace_for_updating_docsn/winedev/...
//depot/2009kegs/...  //ines_perforce_workspace_for_updating_docs/2009kegs/...

         cd /home/ines/perforce/winedev
         p4 edit wine.atd
         cd /home/ines/perforce/2009kegs
         p4 edit wine.atd
         p4 submit -d "quick edit to fix typo in
blackberry"  #oops -- winedev/wine.atd is submitted!

=====================separate clients=====================================
Client Root: /home/ines/perforce/winedev
Client View:
//depot/winedev/... //ines_perforce_workspace_for_updating_docs_dev/...
Client Root: /home/ines/perforce/2009kegs
Client View:
//depot/2009kegs/...  //ines_perforce_workspace_for_updating_docs_2009/...

         cd /home/ines/perforce/winedev
         p4 edit wine.atd
         cd /home/ines/perforce/2009kegs
         p4 edit wine.atd
         p4 submit -d "quick edit to fix typo in
blackberry"  #winedev/wine.atd is not submitted!

At 07:16 AM 8/6/2009, Stephen Vance wrote:
>Large subsets for view resolution which
>increases database lock time, memory requirements, and processor requirements.
>Large have tables increase your database sizes.
>Have tables have a high churn rate increasing
>database fragmentation and slowing down performance.
>P4V and P4Win don't fstat all files on opening,
>but they do fstat all files, changes, jobs, etc.
>that are displayed and in scope. Larger clients
>increase the scope, although not necessarily
>more than "Entire Depot View" would.
>
>I strongly discourage catch-all clients. It
>leaves opportunities for several mistakes and
>best practice violations. It allows changelists
>to span branches which violates the principle of
>a changelist being a single logical change to a
>codeline. It allows for sloppy or mistakenly
>targeted integrations. Those are just two of the issues.
>
>Steve
>
>Anders Kjærgaard Hansen wrote:
>>Hi
>>
>>We are currently doing some housekeeping and
>>cleanup in our Perforce user database, and old unused clients.
>>
>>We came to discuss what impact large clients
>>have on both the perforce server, but also our storage.
>>
>>We have several users who was clients with views as //depot/... //client/...
>>
>>What are the impacts of these "global" clients?
>>
>>Do p4, p4v, p4win e.g. fstat all files in a
>>client each time you open it in the application?
>>
>>We are especially interested in hearing
>>opinions on whether we should allow these clients or not.
>>
>>We have tools supporting creation and use of correct product scoped clients.
>>
>>I hope some of you have some valuable input
>>
>>Sorry if I'm reposting this, my first mail didn't show up so I am retrying.
>>
>>Best regards
>>/Anders

>--
>Stephen Vance