[p4] Performance impact of "large" clients

Anders Kjærgaard Hansen ANH at etiglobal.net
Thu Aug 6 22:50:49 PDT 2009

I totally agree.

The ignored best practice, and risk of making errors, unintended submits, is the biggest problem.

We do have a tool that helps our users create their clients, and that tool create clients per branch. So, if a product has main, some devel branches and some release branches, the client generated by our tool is only for e.g. the main branch of that product.

And ~97% of our users use these clients as they are supposed to do.

Our challenge is the last few users, which are competent enough to figure out how they alter the generated clients (or create new ones by hand), but apparently not competent enough to understand the possible pitfalls of using the large scoped clients spanning several branches.

We have tried the educational way.

And what I wanted from this thread was to gain some technical arguments that might convince them that they are actually disturbing the other developers by locking the database. Besides running the risk of submitting/changing files unintended as Ines examples showed.

"Luckily" some of the worst of our users are database developers, and the argument with database locking might actually be something they can understand. :-) Thanks to Jeff for that explanation.

Thank you all for your replies. I will head back to those developers trying to convince them why clients spanning the entire depot are BAD.

For the record, I think we might combine our educational effort with some form-out, form-in triggers on client.

Especially a form-out trigger that changes default clients to span over //depot/sandbox/main/... instead of //depot/...

Not quite sure yet if we create a form-in trigger, the disallows these clients, or if we just react upon it if someone creates a client we don't like.

Once again, thanks for the replies. I good first experience with the p4 mail lists. :-)

Best regards
/Anders