[p4] Performance impact of "large" clients

todd.benham at kodak.com todd.benham at kodak.com
Fri Aug 7 06:12:53 PDT 2009

Ok, I need to express the other side of this argument.

I don't get it -- society seems need to be so "secure" and "protected"
these days. Why make life difficult? Are you really gaining anything?
Give the user permissions to the areas they might or probably need at a
relatively high level in the depots and then you are done (change
permissions as needed). They can use a tiny scope or a large scope in
their clients as they see fit. How many times have you had to stop what
you are doing because you get a "not in client" message from Perforce.
For scripts and tools and the like, I understand this completely. But
the focus seems to be on how to make sure users are controlled and
limited (which usually means low productivity and a lot of overhead for
setup). Sure you can start "beginners" out with narrow clients but I
don't see that many or certainly not all groups would need to write
triggers and enforcements to restrict things. Why discourage small
client if someone has a use for it? Or why make some jump through hoops
to have a large client. The examples given so far seem contrived. This
just seems like a waste of time to me for the vast majority of
developers. If you have a real need for this kind of thing, certainly go
ahead an do it.

Todd