[p4] Integration preview

Stephen Vance steve at vance.com
Mon Aug 10 22:16:40 PDT 2009

Mark --

You may want to e-mail support to add your voice to the request for
resolvable deletes. The problem you're having is that there is no way to
accept your/theirs for adds or deletes. The Perforce recommendation is
to modify the branch spec to include/exclude these things, but there are
many of us who feel that's a bit of an inconvenient hack that doesn't
scale to large development organizations with developers of varying
skill levels.

Steve

Rainey, Mark (Cleveland) wrote:
> I am running the preview for integrations to figure out who hasn't
> integrated their work from one branch to another.  There are cases where
> an integrate should not happen but I still want the changes off of the
> preview.  For example I am previewing the integration from //branch1 to
> //branch2.  I delete 3 files on //branch1 but those 3 files should exist
> on //branch2.  When I run the preview they show up as needing to be
> integrated.  Usually if the file exist on both branches I resolve and
> say accept yours/target which effectively ignores the merge but creates
> the merge record.  But when files are added or deleted you can't
> resolve.  So how do I get them off of the preview?
>

> My only thought would be to go ahead with the add or delete on //branch2
> and then go on branch2 and back out/rollback that change.  Just
> wondering if there is a better solution (and doesn't include putting
> specific files in the branch spec).
>

> Thank you,
>

> Mark Rainey
>
> Sr. Software Configuration Engineer