[p4] Propagating changes from branch to branch

Rick Macdonald rickmacd at shaw.ca
Mon Aug 10 23:08:14 PDT 2009

For me, it depends on what these two branches are. If they are unrelated
"new development" branches, I definitely do Approach 2. If they are
release (stabilization) branches, such as rel1.x and rel2.x, I would
likely integrate a bugfix from rel1 to rel2 and then from rel2.x to the
mainline, because (in Laura's words) changes never flow "up" from the
mainline to the more stable release branches (remember the Tofu scale?).

The main reason I'm replying however is to say that with Approach #1, I
would always make 2 separate submissions.  Don't think of this as one
task to get the change into two branches. Think of this as two tasks to
get a change into two branches.

Rick