[p4] Is there a way to audit a workspace?

Roy Smith smith_roy at emc.com
Mon Aug 17 08:13:39 PDT 2009

We have a very large workspace where we keep our entire build
toolchain (compilers, tools like perl and python, libraries, etc).
Our build team wants to run "p4 sync -f" every day because they don't
trust "p4 sync" (without the -f) to keep it up to date.  I'm trying to
convince them that this is silly.  It's certainly very expensive, as
it takes several hours to complete.  Worse, the act of doing a "sync -
f" touches the files on disk, so any build that's currently running
can be impacted as files change out from underneath it.

Is there some way to have p4 audit the files on disk and confirm that
what's there is what's supposed to be there, without actually deleting
and re-creating every file?

Roy Smith <smith_roy at emc.com>
Software Guy, EMC
1133 Westchester Ave, 3rd floor