[p4] Is there a way to audit a workspace?

Mark Evans evansmark at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 08:31:50 PDT 2009

You can see which revisions of a file or set of file by running the "p4 have
..." command in the client workspace.

However, that will only tell you what is stored in the Server's db.have meta
data for the revisions synced in the client workspace.  If the build process
itself is clobbering read-only files and making them writable, p4 sync is
never going to sync those files again unless you use the -f option.

If you want to convince your user-base that forcing a sync of the entire
build workspace every day is a bad idea, it sounds like you need to identify
why they feel this is necessary in the first place, and troubleshoot any
issue within the client workspace itself.

A simple way to do this is the run a full sync (without the -f option),
capture the output, and search for the string "Can't clobber writable file".

Hope that helps.