[p4] Is there a way to audit a workspace?

Jeff A. Bowles jab at pobox.com
Mon Aug 17 10:52:41 PDT 2009

It might be helpful to follow up with a couple of related questions:(1) Does
this 'build workspace' have a clean way to remove all derived files
(objects, class files, etc) that is auditable?  Can you really say that
"make / build / ant / etc" against a new-workspace is the same result as
from a cleaned-up workspace?  (For builds where the derived objects are put
into an easily-disposable tree, the answer is "sure". A purist likes the
new-workspace build, and rightly so, but the real question is about making
things easy-to-recreate.)
(2) I assume that "p4 diff -sd" and "p4 diff -se" are helpful, somehow.

As a reminder - don't write a script that loops through a list of files,
running a 'p4' command on each file. There are ways to optimize such things,
so that the requests don't tie up the server's time in bad ways.

---
Jeff Bowles - jeff at vizim.com