[p4] Is there a way to audit a workspace?

Matt Janulewicz matt.janulewicz at lucasfilm.com
Mon Aug 17 17:46:24 PDT 2009

I'd like to add my voice to what Stephen says. It's much easier to get
to the cause of the distrust and re-educate people, than to try to audit
something that essentially shouldn't need auditing. There are too many
things that can happen in a workspace to cover all your bases. Some
people might have those types of changes down to a science but I always
feel like it's better to use the tool to do all the work than to wrap a
bunch of stuff around it to allay some false fears. More rubberbands and
gum stuck to the process allows more opportunity for failure.

We had a similar 'thing' going on with a group's build process. They
wanted to check certain assets in after a successful build, but others
were being left behind in a changed state. They were not always sure
which assets would change during the course of a build (could be one
file, could be 100.) Since we were talking about potentially big files
we also didn't want to check in 100 MB of binaries if only 1 MB of them
changed.

In this case a simple change to the workspace (switching the Submit
options to 'revert unchanged') helped a lot. The potential build assets
that needed checking in were easy to isolate and (eventually) known to
the system (no need to add new files that popped up), so the build
process checks out the entire directory, does it's business, then
submits. The workspace takes care of reverting files that are not
changed and keeping the workspace in a sane state.

So, really try to get to the core of the problem and then leverage the
tools you already have to support the process.

-Matt