[p4] [P4] Remaking a branch.

Justin nockmss at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 10:02:20 PDT 2009

Hi there, I have a question regarding "remaking" an existing branch and hope
to get some help.

Let's say I have two branches, where DEV is originally branched from MAIN.
//depot/MAIN/...
//depot/DEV/...

The work done in DEV contains lots of changes but is no longer useful to us.
Basically we want to start DEV all over again as a fresh branch from MAIN,
but without obliterating DEV.
So far, I've deleted DEV by executing 'p4 delete //depot/DEV/...'. Was that
a mistake? What should I do next? I'm thinking of integrating MAIN->DEV
next.

My main question, is whether there's scope for unresolved changes existing
in MAIN or DEV which will haunt future integrations between the branches,
silently causing problems down the road. Am I being too paranoid there?

Thanks,

Justin