[p4] Convert static to automatic labels

Matt Janulewicz matt.janulewicz at lucasfilm.com
Thu Aug 20 10:09:36 PDT 2009

A scenario I've run into when contemplating this kind of project is that
a lot of the old labels that far pre-date anyone that works here, had no
limitations in their scope: //depot/..., and I find that a majority, if
not the entirety, of a depot or two is labeled. So it's impossible to
find exactly what was intended to be labeled.

Instead of trying to figure out what labels I can change to an automatic
label, I just found a big chunk of old labels and asked people if they
knew what they were. Or if they knew they were still used. If nobody
knew what the label was for, I archived it. (Dump out the labelspec,
dump out the list of files in the label, check in that pair of files,
delete label.) It's easy enough to restore a label if you need it later
and it cut a significant chunk out of our checkpoints.

-Matt