[p4] [P4] Remaking a branch.

Matt Janulewicz matt.janulewicz at lucasfilm.com
Thu Aug 20 15:48:37 PDT 2009

I think the pain of re-pointing client specs is far easier to get
through than worrying about (and more than likely messing up) any
subsequent merges to DEV.

"The work done in DEV contains lots of changes but is no longer useful
to us."

Then for all intents and purposes, this is different code and should be
called something else on a different branch. You're basically proposing
a branch that has a certain history and purpose, then at some point in
time switches to a useful set of code with a different purpose. Not good.

It seems like your intuition is telling you that this is not the right
way to go. Listen to it. Oooooooommmmmmmm. Be Zen and create a new DEV
branch that is named something more descriptive. :)

When you move on to upper-management and all your current developers
have been promoted, the new crew will thank you for not making a weird,
hybrid branch of mixed-purpose. You have to think about the future as
well as the past.

Oooooooooommmmmmmmmmmm.

-Matt