[p4] [P4] Remaking a branch.

Peter Buckley buckmeisterq at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 16:18:08 PDT 2009

When you say you're looking for a way to "re-make branches without obliterating," that is antithetical to the notion of source control in general and perforce specifically. Once you make something (a branch, a file) in source control, it is preserved forever, unless you obliterate. The fact that perforce would warn and need the -d flag when people add a previously deleted file in the case of File5 is how the tool is designed to work, and it is a desired behavior in most cases.

It would be exceptionally trivial to use //DEV1/... and just automate the update of the left side of everyone's clientspecs - for most users they're only going to care about their local disk coming down as c:/dev.

If you're set on doing this against your own better sense, I would say you probably shouldn't have deleted //DEV/... - that will probably be the source of more "haunting" than if you had just done an integration from //MAIN->//DEV and called that changelist the cutoff.

Thanks,
Peter