[p4] P4D in Unicode mode

Ed Swierk eswierk at aristanetworks.com
Fri Aug 21 07:48:36 PDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 7:24 AM, Schlueter,
Michael<Michael.Schlueter at secunet.com> wrote:
> Since there's no way back, I'm a bit scared that this will mess up our system in a non-obvious way which I may not detect in my test environment.
> Despite from the information in the knowledge base, does anyone have practical experiences with the Perforce server in Unicode mode?
> Is this mode used widely?

Arista's p4d has been running in Unicode mode since we set it up in
early 2005. We've encountered only one minor problem so far: recently
a user edited a file containing an accented character in ISO-8859-1
encoding that had been in our database for years, but p4 rejected it
on submit. Apparently an older version of p4d accepted it but the
current release is more picky about the encoding. Other than that, we
haven't found any problems using Unicode mode.

--Ed