[p4] Doing an upgrade without -xu

Mike Sundy msundy at pixar.com
Thu Mar 5 17:09:42 PST 2009

You'll get an error if you try to do that.  You have to run the -xu to
upgrade - there are no shortcuts around that.  Ask me how I know. :)

I believe the normal process is to restore the checkpoint on the new
server with the old binary, then shut it down, swap out for the new
p4d, and run the p4d -xu.

As Stephen mentioned, it tends to be more prudent to schedule a
migration and upgrade separately.  Otherwise, you're increasing the
variables and it makes it harder to troubleshoot if something goes
wrong.

-Mike