[p4] Evil twins?

Tony Andrew Kennah tonykennah at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 15 07:26:52 PDT 2009

Hi Roy, Natalia

"Evil twins" is a clearcase term and yes independently adding your files
would lead to evin twins if using some other systems.  In Perforce evin
twins are nowhere near so evil, they would simply have a baseless
relationship and using the -i flag of integrate would allow you to create a
base.  There are two methods for your import:

1)
a    Add the files to the mainline.
b    Integrate them out to the branch
c    On the branch paste (ctrl-v) over the correct versions and do an
offline consistency check to update the versions in Perforce

2)
a    On the branch and the mainline add correct versions and do an offline
consistency check to add the files
b    Integrate using -i between mainline and the branch, resolve -ay
c    Integrate using -i between the branch and mainline, resolve -ay

The real question for me here is

    "what relationship do you want these files to have once the correct
versions are all imported?"

---
If I integrate from RELEASEbranchX to the mainline do I want the possibility
of an earlier version updating the version on the mainline?  Probably not.
Therefore for such branches method 2 should be used.

Similarly if I integrate from DEVELOPMENTbranchX do I want the possibility
of a later version updating the version on the mainline...  Yes please!
Therefore for such branches method 1 should be used.
---

Tony