[p4] Spec depots?

Michael Delaney mdelaney at upromise.com
Thu Mar 26 07:50:00 PDT 2009

Philip,

I live by spec depots; they've saved me on numerous occasions. When I
set up new Perforce servers it's usually the first thing I do post
configuration.

Depending on what version of Perforce you're using there are some
gotcha's. The version I'm running (P4D/NTX86/2005.2/104598) has problems
with saving some items to the spec depot that caused 'p4 verify' to
report bad check sums. While Perforce support has said this isn't an
issue that will break the server, it's annoying; this problem has been
fixed in later version of Perforce.