[p4] Spec depots?

Matt Janulewicz matt.janulewicz at lucasfilm.com
Thu Mar 26 10:17:54 PDT 2009

I echo this sentiment. I probably refer to a spec depot on one of our
servers at least once a week. The most common reason is that someone has
edited their workspace, found they don't want the edits, and want to
roll back to the previous version. Also, when someone calls me to say
their workspace is 'all messed up' I can look to see if there was a
recent change to figure out if the clientspec is to blame, or some other
local problem.

It's also come in handy when I typo'ed a trigger definition and wanted
to go back to where I started.

I can't think of any drawbacks to having a spec depot. We are running
2008.2 so we don't get the verify problems (any more), the bandwidth
consumed is very low, and I can guarantee that one day it will save you
a lot of time and headache.

As for disk space, it doesn't seem that exorbitant to me. The two major
types of specs that take up room are workspaces and labels. We have 3373
workspaces with about a year's worth of history and 5593 labels. The
spec depot on that server takes up less than 200 MB of disk space. Seems
like a cheap price to pay for what you will eventually get out of it.

Lastly, after you create your spec depot, be sure you populate,
otherwise it will only save specs 'going forward' from that point in
time. The docs/help will show you how to use 'p4 admin' to baseline your
specs.

-Matt