[p4] Spec depots?

David Ferguson daf at vmware.com
Thu Mar 26 10:22:56 PDT 2009

Ditto.  Our automated build systems had the unpleasant side-effect of creating over 16000 clients a day given the three primary tools (official builds, continuous builds, private dev builds).  Pre 2007.? Releases, the spec depot stored clients as directories and we ran into the 32K  limit in a directory on ext3.

However, e still have been saved by spec depots sufficiently often that we continue using them.

The change to allow clients to be stored as files helped (2007.3 has it, I can't recall when it came in) but it still creates a huge mess. We ended up archiving off all the 'throw-away' clients into a single zip file every four hours and storing that somewhere else.  Accessing those clients through the spec depot ends up with a DB inconsistency error, but we try and avoid doing that :) .

-daf