[p4] Spec depots?

Mark Ridgwell perforce at markridgwell.com
Fri Mar 27 04:33:04 PDT 2009

Philip Panyukov wrote:
> Funny, I just found one more "gotcha".  Quite unpleasant one too.
> This is to do with file names and paths in the spec names.
>
> It turns out, we have some jobs which contain ":" character in them,
> e.g. "BUG:123".
>
> When I run "p4 admin updatespecdepot -a", I get the following for
> every job like above:
>
> Warning: couldn't archive to spec depot
> (spec/job/omnia:qaissue-109-knowhowmenurules.p4s)
> RCS can't commit changes to spec/job/omnia:qaissue-109-knowhowmenurules.p4s,v!
> rename: spec/job/omnia:qaissue-109-knowhowmenurules.p4s,v: The
> filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
>
> Of course, the ":" character can't be used to name files on Windows
> system!  But now the question is: how do I rename those jobs?

Well on NTFS they can - its called an alternate data stream - you can
create a file say test.txt and additional sets of data like
test.txt:Stream1 etc. Each stream is independent and can be read\written
to as if they were a separate file, except its bound to the same
test.txt name.

This article explains it in rather more detail than almost anyone needs
to know:

http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1822

As for renaming in P4, I'm not sure how you'd go about doing that.

Regards,

Mark
--

ACCU - Professionalism in programming - http://www.accu.org/