[p4] fstat digest of text file (CALL#2327524)

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Fri Mar 27 06:24:06 PDT 2009

On Fri, 27 Mar 2009, Sergey Klibanov <sklibanov at day1studios.com> wrote:
> Benjamin, you asked why... Well, I have an automated process where I
> need to compare locally-generated files against their head revision
> in the depot. The wrinkle is that for a variety of reasons the files
> I need to compare aren't synced on the machine running this
> operation, and may even reside some place other than where the
> client spec thinks they should be. I looked at p4 help diff for a
> bit, but found no way to get it to report diffs for un-synced and
> badly-located files.

Would your problem be solved by "p4 print -q ... > another_local_file"
and calling a local diff program on another_local_file versus your
locally-generated file?

I wonder whether the Perforce maintainers would consider extending
"p4 diff2" to allow a local file as an argument.
<http://www.perforce.com/perforce/doc.current/manuals/cmdref/diff2.html>
says that both regular arguments have to be depot paths.

Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com