[p4] fstat digest of text file (CALL#2327524)

Jeff A. Bowles jab at pobox.com
Fri Mar 27 07:05:09 PDT 2009

If *I* needed to compare locally generated files against the server's copy,
I would make sure that I could account for RCS keywords and a number of
similar things such as end-of-line.
The checksum idea has merit: md5-checksum the local content, then surf
through the server's stored-checksums and compare. (I have written a small
script for other purposes, that compares an MD5 checksum against a tree,
hoping to find where the file was retrieved from.)

But...

For this specific case, have you considered the "sync" option that updates
database tables but doesn't retrieve content? That, plus a "p4 diff"
afterwards, would give you the diff information you seek with less content
traveling back/forth, and would deal with binary/text/RCS-text/unicode
better than many other solutions.

It would be more useful if you described WHY you are comparing... against
the server. I expect that the reasons is, "see if these files I just
generated need to be checked in because they have changed."

   -Jeff Bowles