[p4] Perforce proxy connection during perforce server downtime

Ivey, William william_ivey at bmc.com
Tue Mar 31 09:02:43 PDT 2009

No, because getting copies of files from Perforce usually requires
an update to the metadata which requires the main server to be on
line.

However, you can get an approximation of what you want by using
a workspace that is automatically synced up periodically. This
would give you read-only access to files as recent as the last
time it could sync. (A side benefit is that your proxy's cache
gets refreshed more thoroughly than it might otherwise.)

Just keep in mind that if you pull files from this workspace
and put them into your own, your workspace will no longer match
the server's concept of what it looks like and you will have to
take the necessary steps later to resolve those differences.
(It's the same issue you have anytime you work offline and the
same rules apply.)

-Wm