[p4] Spec depots?

Robert Cowham robert at vizim.com
Tue Mar 31 11:20:44 PDT 2009

To my mind that statement is a danger sign - at least for most
organisations.

I would consider it normal for daily builds to be done to a changelist (on a
branch), and to mostly work. Mostly as in 98% of the time or similar. Thus a
label can be just an alias for a changelist. Continuous integration servers
make the above achievable *for most organisations*.

In Matt's case, I am presuming lots of binary artefacts and things like
texture builds and other related things. Games companies (among others) have
this problem, where the "full build" takes hours not minutes, and people end
up breaking things because of the lag between checkin and build.
Incrementals are often difficult in such environments.

However, most people should aspire to clean builds at changelists.

In a games type scenario it requires significantly more smarts in your build
systems. (Minor plug - myself and other Vizim colleages are quite
knowledgeable in this area!).

Regards
Robert