[p4] fstat digest of text file (CALL#2327524)

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Tue Mar 31 21:11:28 PDT 2009

On Sun, 29 Mar 2009, Chuck Karish <chuck.karish at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 6:24 AM,  <tmcd at panix.com> wrote:
> > I wonder whether the Perforce maintainers would consider extending
> > "p4 diff2" to allow a local file as an argument.
> > <http://www.perforce.com/perforce/doc.current/manuals/cmdref/diff2.html>
> > says that both regular arguments have to be depot paths.
>
> "p4 diff -sl" would be a good starting point.

Except that "p4 diff" takes only separate filename arguments, and
therefore uses a client spec to find the corresponding file to diff
against for each argument.  A previous note said that the problem was
that the on-disk version of the file was not mapped via a client spec.

> Making "p4 diff" work against files that aren't at the locations
> where they're mapped into the client workspace would be a
> lot to ask.

Which is why I didn't ask it: I mentioned "p4 diff2".  That command
seems more in tune with the notion of comparing two specified things
from different places.

Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com