[p4] re-organize layout one level deeper

Fredric Fredricson Fredric.Fredricson at bonetmail.com
Fri Aug 20 04:31:24 PDT 2010

  On 08/19/2010 08:13 PM, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
> We want to move our entire depot one level deeper than its current
> location, i.e., we want to move
>
> //depot/y -> //depot/x/y
>
> Is there a way to modify the database directly to achieve this, or
> does it need to be one massive integration?
It is theoretically possible to edit the databases (edit checkpoint
file) and rearrange the repository. I have done this once. If you do it
right the users will never notice since you modify the client view as well.
In the general case this is not possible but in the special case you
describe it is.
And there are drawbacks:
* You have to spend some time researching the checkpoint file to
understand how to modify the contents.
* You have to turn of p4 service during your "surgery".
* The potential for errors is, well, there. And unless you checkpoint
file is small there is no way you can verify it 100%.

So, I would not recommend it. As I said I did this once and it worked
like a charm but still I very much doubt that I would do it again. The
circumstances where a bit special, the depot organization was a mess and
really did make life complicated for the developers so..

I have heard that others have done it too, but I do not know any details.

Cheers,
/Fredric