[p4] Why, oh why?

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Thu Aug 26 13:22:45 PDT 2010

The smallest thing can be the most annoying.

"To extend a ticket's lifespan, use p4 login while already logged
in. Your ticket's lifespan is extended by 1/3 of its initial timeout
setting, subject to a maximum of your ticket's initial timeout
setting."

I have thought about why "1/3", or any other fraction, is sensible.
I can't think of a reason.  How does it enhance security in any way to
require that, if my login expires in 1 minute, I'm only worthy of
4 more hours, but in 60 seconds I'm worthy of 12 hours?

(Actually, the doc is misleading, I think.  if I use p4 login while
logged out but before expiration, I still only get 1/3 of the timeout.

$ p4 login -s
User tmcdaniel ticket expires in 3 hours 31 minutes.
$ p4 logout
User tmcdaniel logged out.
$ p4 login
Enter password:
User tmcdaniel logged in.
$ p4 login -s
User tmcdaniel ticket expires in 7 hours 30 minutes.

)

Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com