[p4] Move/Rename a file that has already been renamed in IDE

jswoboda perforce-user-forum at forums.perforce.com
Wed Jul 10 08:00:01 PDT 2013

Posted on behalf of forum user 'jswoboda'.

I'm working with an IDE that only natively supports the Add, Edit, and
Revert functions.  I got myself into a situation and I know a way to
"brute force" my way out, but I'd like to see if there's a
better solution.

Scenario:

>From within the development environment I
1. Checked out a file (Finite Calculation.c) for editing.
2. Performed a Save As.. to rename the file on disk as (Infinite
Calculation.c).  This action not only saves a copy as "Infinite
Calculation.c" but deletes the original "Finite Calculation.c"
and points all dependent code to the new file name/location.
3.  I marked the new file (Infinite Calculation.c) for Add to the
depot.

So at this point what I see in the P4V default changelist is:
1. Finite Calculation.c marked for Edit
2. Infinite Calculation.c marked for Add

What I'd like to see happen is the two changelist entries merged into a
single "Rename".  Is there a way to do this after the file
has already been renamed in the workspace?

  http://forums.perforce.com/index.php?/topic/2650-moverename-a-file-that-has-already-been-renamed-in-ide