[p4] Usage of ignore files

P4Matt perforce-user-forum at forums.perforce.com
Mon Jul 15 12:10:01 PDT 2013

Posted on behalf of forum user 'P4Matt'.

Laura's old blog post is a good primer on P4IGNORE.

http://www.perforce.com/blog/120214/new-20121-p4ignore

We originally used the Git syntax so that people could user their ignore files
for both systems. The Git syntax has changed a bit since then though. It also
looks like some of our behavior is less than desirable; we don't handle
wildcards in directories as well as I would hope. With your cases above, we
can't handle the 2nd one; wildcards apparently won't match a directory
alone. I was able to successfully ignore your other examples though. We also
don't use the leading '/'. I can post a sample ignore file if that
would help.

  http://forums.perforce.com/index.php?/topic/2658-usage-of-ignore-files