[p4] Requesting Help on How to PREFIL Perforce Changelist Description

Michael Mirman Michael.Mirman at mathworks.com
Thu May 2 07:06:33 PDT 2013

We use the change-out trigger to pre-populate the change form.
The change-in trigger verifies the form (whether the user wrote everything correctly).
If the verification fails, we do *not* fail the trigger, but rather leave "error messages" in the change description.
Then, the change-submit trigger rejects the submission if the change contains those errors.

The reason we do this is that if the change-out trigger fails, the user loses what s/he typed, which makes them upset.
We can also put in the error very specific things.
Some examples:
	- files submitted to a certain directory require user to specify who reviewed the code;
	- certain directories are closed for submissions (we prefer to manage certain things by the triggers rather than by the protect table);
	- certain areas require changes to be associated with Perforce jobs.

--
Michael Mirman
MathWorks, Inc.