[p4] How to know where a pending branch originated?

John W jwdevel at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 11:53:42 PDT 2015

I feel like I've been using p4 way to long to not know this answer,
but even quite a bit of searching has not helped...

Suppose I copy a file

    $ p4 copy foo bar

Now, it shows up in "opened"

    $ p4 opened
     //depot/path/to/bar#1 - branch change 12345 (text)

Great; no problems so far.
Now, suppose I forget that "bar" originally came from "foo".

I have this file, "bar," opened for branching, and I want to know from
where it originated.

How the heck do I get that information (preferably from the commandline)?

Something somewhere must know this information, because it will be
recorded in the server when this change is submitted. But how do I get
that info *before* it is submitted?

Thanks
-John