[p4] Stopping notepad popup of tmp files while running change and other commands.

raysid perforce-user-forum at forums.perforce.com
Thu Apr 16 07:15:01 PDT 2015

Posted on behalf of forum user 'raysid'.

I also faced a problem while creating p4 client. For eg. I did the following
steps as captured in a text file from the .bat's stream.

1.p4 set P4CLIENT=abcd

2.p4 client -o  1>PerforceTmp.txt     (Read the
stream into a text file though the actual command run in bat file was p4 client
-o > PerforceTmp.txt)

3.p4 client -i  0<PerforceTmp.txt     (Read the
stream into a text file though the actual command run in bat file was p4 client
-i < PerforceTmp.txt)
Client abcd saved.

4.p4 client -s -S XYZ/JKH abcd
Client 'abcd' has a static view that will be overwritten; use -f to
force switch.

5.p4 sync pathUptoParentOf_abcd\abcd\...#head

The problem is p4 sync is causing all the contents of stream XYZ into abcd
(where abcd is workspace/empty folder created in client system before running
the command order and doesn't exist at the depot), but what is needed is all
the contents of XYZ/JHK into abcd.
Also tried using p4 client -s -S XYZ/JKH/ abcd but got the same results.

How to address this issue? please note step 3 and 4 are used to create a new
client without opening a tmp file popup.

  http://forums.perforce.com/index.php?/topic/4015-stopping-notepad-popup-of-tmp-files-while-running-change-and-other-commands