[p4] Huge quantity of orphaned files without a reason

rogathy perforce-user-forum at forums.perforce.com
Wed Apr 29 07:45:01 PDT 2015

Posted on behalf of forum user 'rogathy'.

Recently, I'm witnessing frequent appearance of orphaned files in our
depots.
It is very hard to track down what causes them.
There is almost 100% repeatability when using reconcile command when new files
were added.
They often occurs when user interupts a long-lasting commands.
But some users get orphaned files despite of not using any of previously
described methods.

The current environment consists of one Hybrid Server and one Edge Server (used
to be 2).

I would be grateful for pointing how I can debug it and/or in which cases
orphaned files may occur.

The files can be easily unlocked with "unlock -x" command.
Nevertheless the sudden appearance of 130k of such files over night can mean
problems in the configuration.

  http://forums.perforce.com/index.php?/topic/4054-huge-quantity-of-orphaned-files-without-a-reason