[p4] Changed P4EDITOR, now can't save any changes

glaw perforce-user-forum at forums.perforce.com
Thu Aug 25 06:25:01 PDT 2016

Posted on behalf of forum user 'glaw'.

Thanks for the reply!

That is an interesting point regarding adding the .txt extension. I'll look
into that thank you.

To clarify, this started happening when I first tried changing the editor using
"p4 set P4EDITOR=(path to editor)".  It happened whether I
used notepad++, emacs, or changed it back to the default,
notepad.  Currently it is set to notepad++ which I declared as the
editor when I reinstalled perforce.  Incidentally, the workspace I was
using was retained so there is some metadata somewhere I am unaware of. By it, I
mean the editor I'm using tries to save an actual file.  I had not
noticed the .txt extension which may be the key here.

It only brought vi up when I unset P4EDITOR.   The command I was using
to test all of this was p4 user, or p4 user test (which I have privileges to
modify).

I can give you the output of p4 set P4EDITOR here, but it is now set to
notepad++ (and thus will bring up notepad++).

$ p4 set p4EDITOR
p4EDITOR=C:\Program Files (x86)\Notepad++\notepad++.exe (set)

The version is as follows:
$ p4 -V
Perforce - The Fast Software Configuration Management System.
Copyright 1995-2015 Perforce Software.  All rights reserved.
This product includes software developed by the OpenSSL Project
for use in the OpenSSL Toolkit (   http://www.openssl.org/ )
See 'p4 help legal' for full OpenSSL license information
Version of OpenSSL Libraries: OpenSSL 1.0.1p 9 Jul 2015
Rev. P4/NTX64/2015.1/1227227 (2015/08/27).

Thanks!

  http://forums.perforce.com/index.php?/topic/4914-changed-p4editor-now-cant-save-any-changes