[p4] Changed P4EDITOR, now can't save any changes

glaw perforce-user-forum at forums.perforce.com
Thu Aug 25 09:25:01 PDT 2016

Posted on behalf of forum user 'glaw'.

That's true, I have been using cygwin (mintty 2.4.1) and DOS windows
interchangably for troubleshooting.  Sorry for the confusion. In a DOS
prompt when P4EDITOR is not set, a notepad window pops up.

It may be cygwin related as after I set P4EDITOR to notepad in the dos window
things started working as expected.  I found I had to add some command
line options to have it open a new session editor. Without doing that, i'd
have to quit the editor to release the lock in the cli.

p4 set P4EDITOR="C:\Program Files (x86)\Notepad++\notepad++.exe -multiInst
-nosession"

Strangely, I could not reproduce the issue once I got everything
working.  Whether setting the issue in cygwin or a DOS
prompt.  For the record, this all started when I tried to change the
editor from notepad to emacs.

Also for clarification, when I mentioned "p4 user test" it was to test
against a user named "test" which I had created.

Thanks for the help!

  http://forums.perforce.com/index.php?/topic/4914-changed-p4editor-now-cant-save-any-changes