[p4] perforce prevents VS solution loading

p4rfong perforce-user-forum at forums.perforce.com
Tue Mar 28 10:15:01 PDT 2017

Posted on behalf of forum user 'p4rfong'.

Hi Pablo,
I think I have a solution for you.
I was able to simulate the problem you see by locking the Perforce database (p4d
-r . -c "sleep 120") and trying to connect with Visual
Studio.  When doing so, Visual Studio 2017 Community version was
completely locked up; I could not edit any files.  But when Perforce
was down and disconnected, I could still edit files in Visual
Studio.  So here is what you can do:
Before 10:00pm (and maybe early in the day)
1. Click "Checkout all in solution"
    All you files will be opened for edit
2. File -> Close Connection to the Perforce Depot
3. Make changes to files and do your work.  You will not be locked
out.
4. Wait until Perforce is no longer being backed up
5. File -> Open Connection to a Perforce Depot
6. Click the Refresh icon in Solution Explorer
7. Select your Solution
8. Right-click Submit
This should work for you.  Please try it and let us know if this
works.

(By the way, Perforce supports distributed versioning similar to Git, so that
would be an alternative solution, but your company has to turn on this option.)

  http://forums.perforce.com/index.php?/topic/5153-perforce-prevents-vs-solution-loading